Skip to main content

First interview with Amanda

After just over three weeks in the ServiceNow RiseUp program, we take the temperature on Amanda and ask how it has gone (3 min. 51 sec.).

Subtitles are available in both Swedish and English.


Lars-Åke: Now it has been just over three weeks since you started the RiseUp program. How did it feel that first day in September when you first logged into Now Learning and started your journey?

Amanda: Well, the first time I logged in, so that... It was interesting because I understood absolutely nothing. It was a whole new world.

Lars-Åke: And compared to three weeks later?

Amanda: Well, now I'm starting to get some understanding. There's still a lot left, but... I've learned that it's like a whole new language. All the concepts it implies, and…

Lars-Åke: Because you have no IT background before?

Amanda: Not at all.

Lars-Åke: How long do you think it will take before you feel you are ready to: I can do this "for real"?

Amanda: It's hard to say even now, it's only been a few weeks, but... Considering how much I've absorbed in just a few weeks, so... it feels like it's going pretty fast.

Lars-Åke: What qualities do you have that will make you successful?

Amanda: I'm incredibly stubborn, and I think it's fun to figure things out and solve problems.

Lars-Åke: How do the materials and courses support you?

Amanda: Well, it works well. I think it is a language that you still understand when you are completely from the outside, and have not worked with this before.

Lars-Åke: Which is the easiest to absorb? Is it reading text documents, or watching videos?

Amanda: I think it is a combination of both. To both read and watch videos. So you consume it in different ways.

Lars-Åke: How is the content then? Is it too easy, too hard, too fast, too slow?

Amanda: I would say that it is quite an adequate level. Because in parts it is too hard, and in parts it is too easy. So... I would probably say that it...

Lars-Åke: And these labs that you do at the same time, do they help you reinforce your learning?

Amanda: Yes, then you visualize what you are doing. If you had only read it, I wouldn't have understood nearly as much as I do.

Lars-Åke: Do you still feel the same energy today as when you started in September?

Amanda: Yes, I do. Now I am starting to get into it a little and understand a little more. So it almost becomes more fun when you start to understand.

Lars-Åke: Will you continue?

Amanda: Yes, I will.

Lars-Åke: What is the goal, which "path" are you taking? Is it Administrator, or?

Amanda: Yes it is.

Lars-Åke: And you will get certified?

Amanda: Yes.

Lars-Åke: As Certified System Administrator?

Amanda: Yes, that is the plan.

Lars-Åke: From your previous occupations and experiences, do you see how the ServiceNow platform could have been helpful in the industries and occupations you tried in the past?

Amanda: Yes, absolutely. I come from the metal industry, among other things, and the beauty industry. So there are two very different industries in which I have extensive experience. So it is interesting to see and think, to imagine, how it could be used in those industries.

Lars-Åke: Could you streamline the work or the processes, or...?

Amanda: Yes absolutely. I know what is available today. And that could be developed...

Lars-Åke: Thank you for coming here and answering these questions. And good luck in your continued venture.

Amanda: Thank you very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live on Stage in Las Vegas

We did it! Today Amanda and I held our session on Knowledge 2024 on stage in Las Vegas. I'm very proud of both of us - we did a great show. Afterwards, we both received great feedback from the audience, and we were also interviewed by ServiceNow. We were both very exhausted afterwards - but it was a great feeling standing on that stage, sharing our story together.

A sharp task! Amanda exceeds expectations...

 Last week I gave Amanda a sharp task to practice the new skills and test herself. The task focused on the Service Catalog and contained the following elements: Create a new category in the Service Catalog to order pizza. Create subcategories for different types of pizzas, for example Italian, American, etc. Each orderable pizza must contain: Description Price Image When you order a pizza, you should be able to choose extra ingredients - which should also affect the price. Price must be given in Swedish currency (kr). Certain pizzas in each category can only be ordered by VIP customers, and thus not be visible/selectable for "regular" customers. (Note that the instance was not pre-configured for Swedish currency - only US currency.)

Status update

Several people have been asking me about Amanda, and how she progress in learning ServiceNow. Unfortunately, I must confess that we both have lost momentum a little bit. Since Amanda failed the second attempt at becoming a Certified System Administrator (CSA), back in January, I've had so much on my plate. I've been so busy at work that I haven't been able to support Amanda properly, and help her find new energy to progress. At the same time, Amanda has had a low period in both her jobs. Things have felt dull, and she has had a bit of a struggle finding the energy to pick up full speed again. But we will both do our very best. We haven't given up - we will come back, even stronger! I hope I can report back really soon.