Skip to main content

A sharp task! Amanda exceeds expectations...

 Last week I gave Amanda a sharp task to practice the new skills and test herself.
The task focused on the Service Catalog and contained the following elements:

  1. Create a new category in the Service Catalog to order pizza.
  2. Create subcategories for different types of pizzas, for example Italian, American, etc.
  3. Each orderable pizza must contain:
    • Description
    • Price
    • Image
  4. When you order a pizza, you should be able to choose extra ingredients - which should also affect the price.
  5. Price must be given in Swedish currency (kr).
  6. Certain pizzas in each category can only be ordered by VIP customers, and thus not be visible/selectable for "regular" customers.

(Note that the instance was not pre-configured for Swedish currency - only US currency.)

This is a fairly qualified task where, for example, the following must be solved:

  • The instance must be configured to handle Swedish currency.
  • The choice of extra ingredients must affect the price.
  • VIP customers must be identified and the selection of pizzas must be affected

Given this complexity, I gave Amanda a week to solve it.


But! It only took a few hours before Amanda returned with the following results:

Category tree with main menu and subcategories.

When selecting a certain subcategory, pizzas from that category are displayed - in this example, the customer is not a VIP, so only two types of pizzas are available to order.
Image and price (Swedish currency) available.

When the customer is a VIP, there is another type of pizza to order from the same subcategory.

When ordering a pizza, a description is also displayed.
When you choose extra ingredients, the total price changes according to the choices made.


In addition to the task being completed correctly, with the correct solution methodology, it has been completed impressively quickly. Catalog Item Variables have been used correctly, and User Criteria have been used to control whether VIP pizzas should be displayed or not.


This exercise demonstrated both the strength of the ServiceNow Platform as a no-code/low-code platform, and not least the strength of Amanda.

Good work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live on Stage in Las Vegas

We did it! Today Amanda and I held our session on Knowledge 2024 on stage in Las Vegas. I'm very proud of both of us - we did a great show. Afterwards, we both received great feedback from the audience, and we were also interviewed by ServiceNow. We were both very exhausted afterwards - but it was a great feeling standing on that stage, sharing our story together.

Status update

Several people have been asking me about Amanda, and how she progress in learning ServiceNow. Unfortunately, I must confess that we both have lost momentum a little bit. Since Amanda failed the second attempt at becoming a Certified System Administrator (CSA), back in January, I've had so much on my plate. I've been so busy at work that I haven't been able to support Amanda properly, and help her find new energy to progress. At the same time, Amanda has had a low period in both her jobs. Things have felt dull, and she has had a bit of a struggle finding the energy to pick up full speed again. But we will both do our very best. We haven't given up - we will come back, even stronger! I hope I can report back really soon.